Thursday, March 31, 2005

The Culture of Life Lecture

According to CNN: President Bush offered his condolences. "Today millions of Americans are saddened by the death of Terri Schiavo. ... I urge all those who honor Terri Schiavo to continue to work to build a culture of life where all Americans are welcomed and valued and protected.

Ok, gang, it is official. The code phrase of the year is "Culture of Life"! How charming that Bush feels so strongly about keeping people alive even if it means feeding them artificially even though there is zero chance of living anything resembling a human life. Too bad this new found concern about the culture of life didn't extend to little baby Sun Hudson in Texas whose life support was brutally terminated for financial reasons despite the fact that the child had a functioning brain and his mother wanted to save his life. The cold Scroogian indifference to his plight stands in stark contrast to the circus of concern for Terri.

This sickens me.

In the news is the startling work in melding the human/computer interface so severely disabled people with electrodes in the brain can move robots or electronic devices to pick up things or turn on or off things or type text on computer screens (Dave, stay away from that, no!). The ability to extend the quality of life of the severely disabled continues as computers and electronics and animal training techniques improve. None of this could help poor Terri. She had no brain to interface, she was the equivelent of the Blue Screen of Death.

The culture of life: this blogger is a firm believer in this. This is why I raise so many animals and vegetables and flowers and birds and bees. I am surrounded by life and by extention, death. Last summer, for example, my bee colony was wiped out by a very fierce storm that featured a tornado. They all died when the queen died. Her daughters were my garden companions. I miss my bees. They knew me just as I knew them. The hive was conscious and starting a new hive means getting a hostile queen who wil have to be persuaded to be nice to me and not set her daughters after me. Normally, after the first year, I don't wear a bee suit because the bees let me mess with their hive.

The American Bee Hive is buzzing right now because we are fighting over the very meaning of our lives and our futures and our needs and fears. Then I read that Ozzie Osburne burned down his house. After making a lot of money letting us all watch him stumble about, he loses everything in a flash. This happens rather a lot to celebrities.

Life---live life now or live later in regret. Every day is a new day. The sun rises in the East and we smile, for this is the meaning of life.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home