Sunday, April 24, 2005

Ratzinger and I Had a Big Big Fight in 1968

cat
Elaine the pushy feminist in 1969 while visiting Smith College to talk about women's rights.

This is a TRUE STORY. I am not making this up at all.

In 1968, I was the only woman on the campus at Tuebingen, Germany, who made speeches, confronted the faculty and in general, raised mayhem concerning Naziism and the war in Vietnam and the future of humanity and my worst crime of all: arguing with the religion faculty about God. I was utterly notorious on campus. Periodically, right wingers would try to beat me up only I have many fighting skills, both Japanese as well as sword fighting and simple wrestling with horses and cows since childhood.

In other words, I was one tough bitch.

I even made "Der Spiegel" magazine. I was finally deported from Germany because of my activities!

Well, this morning I learned something amazing: the reason Raztinger gives for reverting to being a Nazi is very simple.
NYT article about Tuebingen

But while his deep reading and thinking in theology, philosophy, and history were fundamental to development as a theologian, it was the protests of student radicals at Tübingen University - in which he saw an echo of the Nazi totalitarianism he loathed - that seem to have pushed him definitively toward deep conservatism and insistence on unquestioned obedience to the authority of Rome

We met, we argued and I terrorized him so badly he decided to be a Nazi. Amazing! Will wonders nevercease. Actually, the reason we argued and I was "vulgar" was because he was already a Nazi and this ticked me off greatly! I can spot a Nazi from pretty far away.

The article details his humilation at my hands...ahem. He was oh so learned and could quote anyone but I was there and there was precious little for me to quote since most literature is anti women's rights! So we got in a classic fight over "this is MY body that I live in and YOU can't order me around" stuff. Then I accused him of being "Kinder, kuchen, Kirche" Nazi. That was so mean of me he decided on the spot to be come a Nazi. I suppose.

Reading this article irritates me because no one interviewed me about this matter. Even after I publish this you can bet the NYT will not interview me.

Ratzinger isn't shy. He is full of hostility and repressed anger. Being a shallow intellectual, he was petted by his teachers because he was a toady who wanted to please, not challenge. This is why he appeared to briefly be a "liberal" under Herr Professor Kueng. I was at the meetings detailed in the NYT piece: everyone wanted to talk about anything but women's rights. Only one voice demanded we discuss this matter. That voice, dear readers, was mine! And only mine.

I was the sole VOCAL feminist on campus at this time.

And I am a loud mouth and am famous for launching fights. In philosophy class, my male professor announced one day that women couldn't argue philosophy because they are too emotional. I raised my hand and said, "Could you please prove this?" He then let me stand next to him and we began to argue. I got the entire room mad at me. I made one feminist challenge after another, coldly and cruelly. With a deliberate straight face. What blew them up was my contention that scientists should make artificial wombs so men can do their fair share of child bearing.

Blooie. Everyone was screaming at me including the professor. I crossed my arms on my chest and stood there in the storm, triumphant.

"Case closed. Men are TOO EMOTIONAL TO DEBATE." Dead silence. The professor began to laugh. Everyone was horrified. I won the debate! It was their Waterloo.

Well, Ratzinger can't debate his way out of a paper bag. He is a classic case of "authoritarian using authorities" type of argument. "This is how it was done before and it can't change" sort of junk. A revolution of the mind is to see through all of that to a new way of doing things.

So this Pope is personal to me. I demand a rematch with him. I will volunteer to go to the Vatican and debate him. The propaganda is, he loves debates. So bring it on!!!! (Fat chance. He is a coward, even with Opus Dei holding his hand).

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home